If you don’t know the work of Rachel Lloyd and GEMS (Girls Educational and Mentoring Services) you should. The trailer above is from a documentary GEMS created to raise awareness about trafficking in the U.S. GEMS provides support to girls who are victims of commercial sexual exploitation in the United States (Trailor removed due to unrelated disturbing images that show up after the clip per YouTube. Go here for more information: http://www.gems-girls.org/get-involved/very-young-girls). Don’t know what this is? Here’s how GEMS explains it:
The commercial sexual exploitation of children (CSEC) and domestic trafficking is defined as:
- The sexual abuse and remuneration in money, goods, or services, or the promise of money, goods, or services to the child or a third person or persons.
- An element of organization and/or intent and/or the context of the commercial sex industry.
- A child who is treated as a commercial and sexual object.
- A form of violence against children.
- Trafficking within the United States.